In-hospital deaths (covid-19 only)
The Covid-19 Patient Notification System (CPNS) is the route by which NHS England are informed of positive COVID-19 in-hospital deaths. Initially this was lab-confirmed covid deaths only, but also includes suspected cases from 28 April 2020 onwards.
- Data provider NHS England.
- Participation / Coverage In-hospital covid-related deaths in England.
- Update frequency in OpenSAFELY Weekly.
- Delay between event occurring and event appearing in OpenSAFELY Within 2 weeks.
- Available from 24/03/2020 onwards (all test-positive deaths); 28/04/2020 onwards (test-positive and covid documented as underlying cause).
- Collected information Admission, test, result, and death dates; hospital and department of death; basic demographics.